Sunday, March 14, 2010

On vampires, birthdays, and logarithms.

My mother is so strange. Not a member of my family is good at math, including her... and yet, when I come home from school confused and asking for help with logarithms and graphs and linear equations, SHE'S the one who gets excited - whether she ends up getting it right or not. It makes me strangely happy - there is always comfort in camaraderie - that is, unless she suddenly understands the concept that I've been struggling and dying over. Then I become bitter.

After a horrible murderous week last week, during which I lost (quite literally) an inch of my already-short-hair, I have done absolutely nothing in the last three days. (The hair loss, by the way, was actually due to a haircut I gave myself yesterday morning. It is a dangerous thing to cut one's own hair, when said hair is already as short as Audrey's Roman Holiday look... but it looks alright. Better than the job the women at Fantastic Sam's did, anyway, and this way it was free of $15 and a battle of the languages.) Anyway. I suppose I could have worked on school and various projects this weekend, to lessen my load for this next week so I don't have another horrible 5 days...

But no. I slept. Not only slept, but did completely useless things. Yesterday I googled "Where is Transylvania?" because I was curious (it's in Romania, by the way), and then of course I got wrapped up in researching vampires and their origins, which led me on a fascinating trip around eastern europe and several names I couldn't pronounce; also, in the 1400's there was a fellow called Vlad the Impaler and for good reason, because he's apparently famous for impaling (his favorite means of murder) somewhere between 40,000 and 100,000 people. Apparently, Bram Stoker's character Dracula seems to based off of him, however historically incorrect the writing was. AND, in a village in Transylvania whose name escapes me, within a decade there were like 20 people killed, allegedly, by vampires. This resulted in the bodies being exhumed, stabbed with stakes, decapitated and burned - when in fact, the strange state their bodies seemed to be in was all part of the normal cycle of decomposition.

Yes. My knowledge and I will be the biggest hit at the next party.

Also, I have 16 days left of French class. It doesn't end until mid-May, but it's only twice a week. There should be 17, but one class is on my birthday. I've already got SAT's on my birthday - I'm NOT going to SAT's and French. I do need to think of something to do after SAT's though, for my birthday... hm. The last two years have been James Dean pilgrimages, but I'm running out of places. Well, we'll work on it. In any case, midterms were last week, which means there is now LESS than half a semester to go. I am psyched.

I can't wait for summer. I can't wait for Prague. I can't wait for the feeling to sink in that I'm GOING to Prague.

Maybe I'll meet a vampire.

.... I really shouldn't say things like that when it's getting dark...

2 comments:

  1. You.
    You are so delightfully random and adorable :)

    Let me know what you decide to do for your birthday, because that's my week off and I think I'll be up your way that weekend :D Or maybe you come back with me and we find that bridge?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I know Jon'll be here, but I don't know about Kate yet... we need to all go somewhere. I still can't think of where.

    ReplyDelete