Thursday, March 17, 2011

Being mythological does wonders for one's ego.

I read Initiation by Sylvia Plath last night, and fell in love. I don't know why, exactly... it's an odd little story, but it was so fun to read because I understood it so well. And it was so humorously bizarre. There was one part, especially, that I underlined and boxed and generally assaulted with my pen...
From that time on, initiations didn't bother Millicent at all. She went gaily about Lewiston Square from store to store asking for broken crackers and mangoes, and she just laughed inside when people stared and then brightened, answering her crazy questions as if she were quite serious and really a person of consequence. So many people were shut up tight inside themselves like boxes, yet they would open up, unfolding quite wonderfully, if only you were interested in them. And really, you didn't have to belong to a club to feel related to other human beings.

I love books. I really do.

I don't love homework, though. Professors seem to be under the delusion that we have nothing to do over spring break, or that we don't need a break at all, or some similarly demented thought. I have three tests this next week, and a big paper due on Tuesday as well. There's no possible way that I can do all that I need to do - and I've been pretty diligent this week about homework, too. It's just that life keeps getting between me and my textbooks - not that I really mind that, but whenever something comes up that takes me away from my homework, a voice in the back of my head goes, "You're screwed." Yes, I know. I know. Go away. (I'm not schizophrenic, I swear...) Did I mention that I have a job? I'm a cabbie. Not officially - I think that would be a bit more exciting, though - I guess I'm more like a hired driver. A lady we've known for my lifetime can't drive herself anymore due to her vision - in fact, she gave me her car when I started driving. Well, anyway, she decided to hire me to drive her places 8 hours a week for the next 4 months, until I go away to Prague in July. (I'm officially on the team, did I mention that?) It's an interesting situation, this job of mine... the pay is ridiculously good, so I'd be stupid not to take it. But it's really tough trying to get homework done in 10-15 minute intervals in parking lots while I'm waiting for her to get her shopping done. She's also incredibly OCD (like, clinically) to the point of micro-managing everything and everyone - and I am now her employee, which means I am micro-managed in pretty much every way. I'm handling myself better than I thought I could, though - but then, it has only been a week. Hopefully I can keep this up. It's not all bad, though - today she had lunch at her pastor's house for 3 hours, during which time I drove around and found a lovely park on the outskirts of town, and sat in a gazebo and read.

Tomorrow is a big day, so I needed to get a lot of homework done. Again, life got in the way. (What is it Lennon said... Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.) I've been sick the last few days, and my head has not really been working properly, which makes reading and making sense of things very difficult to do. I slept right through my alarm for almost two hours this morning. When I woke up, I realized that I had to go and make Ami breakfast because no one else was around to do it. So after a quick shower, I took my morning coffee with me in a thermos and drove off for her house. This is nice, I thought, at least I have fresh coffee with me. Cue: lid falling off the thermos because it was the wrong one, and coffee spilling all over me. Eff. I go to Ami's, make her breakfast, sit and chat for a while, get back in the car, and go to the bank to cash a check and make a withdrawal. I then go to the gas station, and carry out the pumping as usual... that is, until the pump decides to start pumping gas BEFORE the nozzle is in my car's tank. I finally managed to get it in, but had to wipe off the outside of my car afterwards. Not only was the darned gas wasted, but now my jeans smell like gasoline. Anyway. Then I picked up the lady, dropped her off at her pastor's, and read at the park for a few hours. Picked her up just in time to come home in the bulk of late-afternoon traffic, dropped her off, came home, and changed into my sweats and "Ireland football" shirt.

Corned beef has been cooking all day, and Dad says we can have beer, too. So I guess the day wasn't a total waste. ;) I suppose I've got a good 6 hours to study, anyway. I'm just praying that I can keep this flu off... I don't have time to stop and allow myself to be sick. sighh. Life is a funny little thing.

I will close with wisdom from Sylvia...
Just keep a poker face outside. But keep laughing like mad inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment