Monday, September 19, 2011

I can see their eyes;

but tell me something, can they see mine?

Good grief - too much has happened to write about adequately right now. I keep meaning to write here, because I keep thinking of things to write about... but then suddenly it's the middle of the night and I fall asleep before I can do it. Like right now. I'm dozing off and I keep having to retype my sentences because of all the typos. Fun. I did want to write, however, that I quit my job. I've only been there for two weeks, but it quickly became apparent that this was not the place for me. Not only were there some shady things about the place itself, but I just came to realize that restaurant work really just isn't for me. The grouchy, hungry, give-it-to-me-NOW/I'm-the-only-customer-in-the-world people just drove me crazy. I mean, I know people are psychos in every profession... but people are just especially rude to kids in the restaurant business, I've noticed. I have so many ridiculous stories I could tell. But suffice it to say that on Thursday, after I got yelled at by everyone in the world (inside the restaurant AND outside - meaning on deliveries), I decided that I would have to quit soon. Then, the next night while I was delivering a pizza to a sketchy apartment in a sketchy part of town, three middle-aged guys opened the door and invited me in. I declined, politely, and stayed on the porch to get them their change... and they came out and STOOD AROUND ME IN A CIRCLE, all talking at me and joking around and asking if they were giving me enough money... so yeah. I got out of there, awkwardly acknowledged their creepy farewell of "Stay safe!", walked down the street like a freaking half-mile to my car (parking in this city sucks), got in my car, and said, "Yup - I'm quitting."

People are such psychos.

I still have to work a night or two this week, but will be done by this weekend. YAY. Then... yay.... back to job hunting. I've learned my lesson, though. I'm getting a normal-person job at a normal store with normal hours. Or as close to it as I can get.

Also, Amelia and I taught our first Color and Design class on Friday. It was actually super fun. I become a relatively hilarious person when I'm around junior-highers, which is weird and surprising... I think Amelia and I were both expecting to let her play good-teacher and leave the role of harsh-teacher to me. Amelia is the epitome of good-teacher, though... so maybe I'll be the harsh-teacher AND the crazy one. Sounds like a good balance.

I'm so excited about Ireland. I haven't heard back from the family since last week, but they've pretty much guaranteed me a place, and I'm happy. They also gave me a lot of information for volunteer positions with their various church organizations, which is perfect. Exploring on my own/having actual structure when I need it (or when it needs me), sounds fabulous. That might have sounded more selfish than I meant it to. I'm too tired to tell... I didn't mean it in a selfish way. I just mean that having flexibility and options, and the opportunity to be helpful, is awesome-sounding. Yay.

Crap. I have to get up soon. I'm always so tired... but I can never go to bed at a reasonable time anymore. Last night I fell asleep on the couch while we were watching various movies and shows, and everybody left me there! Slightly offensive. Jon came home at almost 3 and he woke me up so that I could go upstairs and sleep in my actual bed. I don't have the drowsy stage of life anymore. I'm awake and then, suddenly, BOOM - I'm out like a light. No warning. I just go through the day knowing that I could, potentially, fall asleep at any time. It's slightly alarming.

Speaking of which, I bet you that I could be asleep in about 4 minutes. I think I'll put that theory to the test. Goodnight, America. Good morning, Europe. Good... existence, Milky Way. 'Atta galaxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment