Monday, April 26, 2010

Tom is at the piano talkin’ to a ghost

Playin’ with his eyes shut tight.
Here’s a little song, I learned it from the wind,
I heard it on the wind last night.

People are so strange. Every once in a while it hits me all over again and I realize how very very strange they are. Some friends of mine are all into the personality typing business, such as the Meyers-Briggs thing, and whenever it comes up in conversation it just strikes me as very odd. Sure, I've taken the test and read the essay on INFJ's (which is me, supposedly), and yeah, a lot of it does sound like me. But typing people just seems to put them in boxes. I agree that, in general, certain people are prone to certain personality traits - but to limit a person to only those traits seems unfair. For instance, an INFJ - it means I'm an introvert, am intuitive, am a feeler, and a judger. But if I do something that's outside of any of these categories, (i.e., something pragmatic or 'cold' that would seem to disagree with my 'feeler' trait) then it confuses people who view me as an INFJ. You follow? It just seems odd, like you're not allowing people any growth. It also can be extremely annoying when people think that because they know your 'type', they know you. I met a guy last summer at camp who came up with my type and from then on, to any answer I gave him, he would say, "Ah, I figured that", or "Yup, I'd've pegged you for that." There are few people who are actually predictable. Every once in a while I'm stunned by the depth of thought and personality in humans. It seems like you're doing an injustice to the human mind by thinking that you can "peg" it for anything.

That said, there are certain people that, I've realized, I don't even bother to try to understand. It's not intentional, and I didn't even know that I did it until recently. I started to notice it in writing and literature classes through the years - the people who never seem to get the deeper meanings, etc... I tend to brush right over those people because they don't seem 'deep' enough. Which is really not a nice thing to do. I like to think of myself as a very intuitive person, so I understand intuitive people. I don't understand the really literal, sensory people, and so I tend not to be around them. Which is natural I guess - most of them don't understand the figurative, intuitive people anyway - but it's not right for me to disregard them. I've been trying to figure out the thought process of someone like that, but I can't. All the same, I'd rather learn to know them by case-by-case study and conversation, instead of reading about their "type".

I don't really know what all that was for. But I want spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment