Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Someone please save us, us college kids.

You always hear about people exhausting themselves in the college lifestyle - you know, not sleeping, not eating, etc.... I'm kind of getting a jump-start on that NOW, and I don't think it's doing me any favors. It's weird; I'm so so sooo tired this week (haven't really had a day to sit back and catch up), so I force myself to have enough energy to make it through the day, and then at night I'm still riding high off caffeine so I'm not tired. So I don't really go to bed until early morning, anyway... I wake up, physically exhausted, and the whole process starts again. I thought summer was for relaxing and sleeping in? I don't mean to complain, really... it's been a great summer so far, and I've seen my friends a lot more often than I did during the semester. So that's a good thing... it's just.... I'm SO TIRED.

Last night I went to a beach near Malibu with Amelia's youth group, and I didn't get home till about 11... Also, I still smell like smoke. But I actually love the smell of campfires... I thought everyone did, but apparently that's just me? Anyway, then I stayed up and ate spaghetti and watched Friends and a few various other things... this morning I woke up at 6, extremely angry at my alarm clock, and I couldn't remember what I had to wake up for until I was already in the shower. Wednesday = rehearsals. We only have 6 more until the play, which is terrifying. AND, I'm only going to be there for 3 of them. Even MORE terrifying. Today was fun, though, we got a lot done AND I got to come home at noon. So that was lovely.

Now, however, I've got to muster up the energy to go to the junior youth-group thing we started at our church. As I'm the only "older" teen, I apparently have the responsibility of being the "cool" one who gets the younger kids interested in games like volleyball and whatnot. Which means, I have to have energy. Blah.

On a different note, I have a lovely Martha costume that Mom made. I put it on today and figured out a pretty way to wear the wig, and it all looked so nice! Unfortunately nobody was home to show it to... which is sad. I'm kind of curious as to how we're working out the bows - I just thought of that. Because in the last scene, I'm in my Samuel Chase costume, which involves man-clothes and a few pillows (the man was, to quote John Adams, "a tub of lard".)... maybe after the congressmen all take their bows, somebody can toss me the Martha wig to bow with. haha. Anyway, something to think about....

Oh. And I think that I've graduated high-school. For many various reasons, it's easier for my future VC-life if I call myself a full-time student from now on. I'm still going to graduate with ACHEV next year, but technically I'm done with high-school. So that's new.

On a compleeeeetely different note, I've been a frustrated writer lately. I generally write fictitious things, but recently I've written some really GOOD short stories that are based off of real things that have happened to me. The problem is, they involve real people... so if I don't want people to be mad at me for portraying them a certain way, I can't do anything with the story. Which sucks. I mean on the one hand, people's feelings are important. On the other hand, writers WRITE. How much should you let your creativity be stifled by what other people think?

All this thinking makes me hungry. And I'm tired of spaghetti. Bah.

3 comments:

  1. The answer is to not write in order to hurt people, but to be honest and to strive to tell a good story.

    The thing is, whether or not you're writing fact, there are always going to be alterations to the "truth" as it happened, and the story becomes your own fiction on the page. Many times writers base a character off of reality, but place significance on that character (for the sake of the story) that does not exist in truth. I've done that, taken circumstances that I experience and find interesting and incorporate it into a story by giving it meaning that the occurance didn't actually have-- but it makes a good story. Fiction becomes indistinguishable from possibility, and actually I think all fiction is like that anyway.

    ANYWAY longwinded idea: I think it's best, unless said characters with similarities to those living or dead, to put forth such tales as you normally do. I wouldn't necessarily post them on facebook, because facebook is all about control and creating an identity for yourself, so someone somewhere is just going to be searching your words for what they can read into them--- buuuut I think you should share writing as much as you can, and should said people come across it then bah, so what. It's just a story, and all stories are about their author and no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if not on facebook, you could probably post it on that site where all of your other short stories are. a subtle tactic is to change the names of the characters...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say as long as I'm not cast in a bad light, you can post anything you want :-)

    Yay for being finished with high school! I think you're the first one of us to be completely finished ahead of schedule. I'm proud of you!

    p.s. I've been out of the house for 5 years now, and I still can't eat spaghetti! (don't tell Mom!)

    ReplyDelete