Monday, January 9, 2012

Death by excitement. Or joy. Or adventurism. Or something.

I'm going to Ireland in less than two months. First of all, I need to buy books (many books!) about Ireland's history and the cool places to go. Not just a tourist book (although one of those may be helpful, too). Secondly, or perhaps this should have been first... it occurred to me last night that I may not be in that part of Europe again for a very long time, if indeed I'm fortunate enough to go back at all. SO. I've decided that whatever the cost of trains, ferries and hostels, and however many days I have to go eating only baguettes (if I can afford them at all), I'm going to travel through England to London, Dover, and then to Calais and Paris. I could only do this for about a week altogether, probably at the most... because my funds are unfortunately limited. BUT, I'm going to do it.

My desired book list is now this:
-A history of Ireland (or at least the wider Dublin area)
-A tour guide of Ireland
-A tour guide of London
-A list of cool places to see on the road from Holyhead to London
-A guide of Paris
-A blank book to write about all of this in once I get there. (I'm not taking my big old laptop for this fleet-footed excursion.)

Which brings me to another thought. I've been considering starting a separate blog for which to write about all of this Ireland-stuff. That way, when people ask for updates, I can just direct them to that and they won't have to weed through all of this random ramble to get to it. Thoughts? I suppose I could just write a book about it all when I come back... but this generation is all about instant gratification, you know? Writers included.

Also, if any of you has tips for cheap European travel, I'd love to hear them. Hostel prices especially seem difficult to locate. Perhaps because I've only just started looking and I'm not quite sure where I SHOULD be looking.

This is all kind of overwhelming. I didn't sleep last night because I was wondering if I could really do it or not. I proposed it to the parents this morning, though, and they seemed surprisingly for it. It makes me happy that they aren't all stressed and worried about me. Well, don't get me wrong - they probably are. Mom will probably be dying with worry the whole time I'm over there. But they stand up for me - that's the important thing. When I tell people what I'm going to do, they often look at my parents and say, "You're allowing this? Aren't you worried?" And they say something like, "Of course. But she'll be alright." I like that about them. It may hurt my pride a little to say so, but I don't think I'd be quite so brave if they weren't - or at the very least, if they weren't pretending to be.

Shoot. March is only two months away. I've got to plan! I've got to read! I've got to get a job and get money!!!!

... two months. How am I going to survive until then?

No comments:

Post a Comment