Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I have a gumbie cat in mind

Feeling better today. I stayed home last night (I was planning on crashing tap dance with Laura) and worked on math for hours, and today when I went into the lab I PASSED the section that was giving me merry hell. So the struggles weren't in vain, and that's a nice feeling. Also, in French today (of which I now have three remaining days - YAY! and ACK!) our teacher had us write 6 sentences about what our life will be like in 20 years. Twenty years. Not that long, right? In 20 years, I will be 37!!!! My life has been flashing through my eyes all afternoon. I suddenly feel old.

But this is silly. Who's to say what's old? As Papa always said, "I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

Anyway. I didn't feel like sleeping last night, so I read the first chapter of the story I finished a while back, until about midnight, and then I went upstairs and took to rearranging my bookshelf and all the books therein. I love books. I love the way they look on a shelf. Unfortunately, I get so wrapped up in collecting them that I forget to read them. Woops. Speaking of reading, our french teacher let us out like a half hour early, so for a half hour I sat on the front lawn of VC and read "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats". TS Eliot = favorite poet ever. I need to read The Wasteland, though. Never have. Is it good? The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is basically my favorite thing ever. What a brilliant man.

Another strange thing about these days, is that I'm never hungry except late at night. Mom always asks what I want for dinner while she's driving me home from school, and I can't even think of food at that time. It's not because I'm full (my school-day diet consists of cereal in the morning. Period.), but food just doesn't sound appealing to me. That is, until 9 or 10 at night. And then I raid the cupboards and find disappointingly that we have no food. So I drink coffee, and I am assuaged. However, because I drink coffee, I can't sleep - so I write, and I write very strange things, until the wee hours of the morning. And when I wake, I'm too tired to eat so I go to school instead. Lather, rinse, repeat. A vicious cycle.

Such is the life of a student, n'est-ce pas?

No comments:

Post a Comment