Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We heard the Monkeys on the radio, the only song you know.

Wednesdays are usually relatively easy - that is, I have two classes, each an hour and twenty minutes, and that's hardly anything at all. But today, for some reason, those hours spent in class felt like the longest out of the semester. I don't know if I mentioned it, don't think I did, but Monday's math test didn't go too well. Not well at all, in fact. It's so weird to me to get back these papers that are all marked up and then have to consider dropping the class, when I've always been a straight A student. Monday was a miserable day - I had the math test first thing, and I didn't get home from all the day's activities until about 6... which meant that I had to fight back whatever horrible depressed feeling was trying to grab me. When I got home that night I crashed. Seeing the grade today didn't help that much.

Art Appreciation pretty much put me to sleep. Also, we had to do one of those teacher-evaluation things. It seems like I never get to do an evaluation on a teacher that I actually like. I always wonder what other put on those sheets, when they clearly don't like the class either. Are they openly rude, or overly-polite? I'm never sure which to be in these cases...

Oh! Yesterday in speech we had our debate. It was our speech class vs. the speech class next door... going into it, we really had no idea what we were doing. I mean we all did research (at least I did... don't really know about some of the others) but we hadn't really put it together into an actual formatted speech. (The resolution, by the by, was that the US should ban offshore drilling. We're on the negative side, which means that in the inevitable battle of economy vs. environment, we're for cold hard cash. In the extremist view, anyway.) It went pretty well though, all things considered... the other class was more polished but their arguments were dumb. We had better points but were too easily amused. So we'll see what the teachers decide after round two tomorrow. (For an example on their arguments, though... a girl in Waltzer's class took our 'economy' arguments a little far and during cross-ex, she asked something like, "So if you're just into making money, why don't we use another industry - like selling cocaine?" We all kind of chuckled but she was totally serious. Things went downhill from there.)

I also have to figure out what on earth I'm doing after this semester. It drives me crazy that I have to decide this stuff right now... all I want is to survive this semester in one piece!

sigh. Enough of that.

Yesterday I had a happy surprise waiting for me: Jana (a little girl from Prague who was my buddy) had her brother translate a message from her to me on facebook.

BIP! My dear Laura, how are you? I'm at home with my brother now, because we are ill (now is 11:49 by us). Have you any pet? I have a little frog and little fish (this year born in our garden lake). Do you like dogs? I love dogs! But my parents don't want a dog. Do you go to school? Do you like school? Which job do you want to do? Will you come again in the Czech republic? Jana BIP!

That pretty much made my day. :) The "Bip!" thing, by the way, is a reference to our poking game. Whenever we were around each other we'd have poke wars, where you had to say "bip" whenever you poke someone else. (Her "bip" came out more like "beep", though. Aghh she was so cute.) Anyway, I wrote back, and I guess she got tired of waiting for Kaja to translate a response, so she wrote to my yahoo account:

Hello Laura
Kája me facebook show. frog name Herman!!!! Do you like frog? what name your
dogs and cat? BIP and BIP!!!
I don't like school only English:).
HELLO
JANE BIP!!!


I sure hope I get to see Jana and her family again. They were lovely people.



Well. I am suddenly inspired by my fantastic music taste. So I'm going to go make mix cd's and drown my sorrows in coffee. (Which, according to psychology, is just below nicotine in terms of addiction problems. Hm.)

2 comments:

  1. Jana's notes made me smile! What a cute little girl. It's fun to have a kindred spirit from another country, isn't it?

    I'm sorry about the sucky test. BAH on those humbugs.

    Maybe you should just go into the cocaine industry.

    Lovingly,
    Your big sister

    p.s. will you make me a mix cd? that could be my only Christmas present. I would be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things look beautiful when they're away from you.

    ReplyDelete