Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oh Yoshimi.

'Cause she knows that
it's demanding
to defeat those evil machines.
I know she can beat them.

Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me,
but you won't let those robots eat me.
Yoshimi, they don't believe me,
but you won't let those robots defeat me.


What a fantastic, weirdly comforting song. Jon showed it to me yesterday while we were talking about depression and stuff. This week was really rough. Since I can remember I've had patches of Big Black Dog Days (referring, of course, to Churchill's description of his depression phases.), and when I'm stressed about school it gets harder to push off. But the good news is that after a horrible low point (usually a period of a day, in this case, Monday), things begin to look up again. That's today. My art-appreciation midterm was today, but I really wasn't stressed about that one because I figured that I've taken enough art and history classes to do well on this one. I'm pretty sure I was right - I only know of one question that I missed, so that's good. Also, today's the day that I drive from one community college to another, which means getting on the freeway - and it's also the first time I did it alone. AND is was raining. I usually love rain but I have to say, driving in rain is the worst. I think people get together before they get on the road and decide to be as nasty as possible... cause seriously. Gah.

BUT, I survived. All else is beside the point.

I'm a little tired right now and can't really think of what I should be doing. I've taken to collaging EVERYTHING, and when I'm not doing that or school or writing, I also work on a list of happy things I started writing last week. At the beginning of the most recent Big Black Dog Days, I realized that it's much easier for me to concentrate on negative things than positive ones. So I started a list. And when I'm too tired or sad to think of things to add to it, that's when I know that I NEED to. It hasn't solved my problems, but I think it helps. In any case, it gives me something to do.

Speaking of happy things, I have a Mary Poppins mug. Did I tell you that? Amelia bought it for me when she was at Disneyland a week or two ago. It's a twilight setting with the rooftops of London (and Big Ben) silhouetted around the bottom. On one side there's a silhouette-Mary Poppins floating with her umbrella, and on the other side is three silhouette-chimney sweeps dancing on a rooftop holding kites. A few weeks ago I put a quote on one of my blogs from Bert, the one about the world at one's feet and "who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and chimney sweeps". That's what it reminds me of. When she gave it to me, Amelia said, "I thought it was perfect because I know you watch Mary Poppins when you're stressed." haha, I'd never realized that I do that, but I suppose it's true. In any case, the mug is my happiness.

'Cause she knows that
it'd be tragic
if those evil robots win.
I know she can beat them.

2 comments:

  1. :-( No more Big Black Dog Days. You are wonderful, and I love you!

    I'm glad that Amelia found that mug for you--it is so cute and so perfect! What a friend :-)

    I have something for you on my blog that might cheer you up! Go take a look.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that's one of my happy songs too! Or it used to be.

    I hope your BBDD's (or as I refer to them, The Mean Reds) are not too frequent! I'm insanely jealous of your MP mug. Annnnnd now I want to watch the Poppins. For me it's usually The Apartment or My Fair Lady or anything with Audrey Hepburn.... aside from Wait Until Dark, haha.

    also please remember that sadness/stress/etc is different from depressive tendency, and if you feel a persistent malaise you should recognize that and talk to someone about it :-/

    ReplyDelete