Friday, July 16, 2010

A week.

I'm leaving in a week! I'm sure the full effect of that still hasn't hit me. In fact there's this nasty cynic inside of me who never lets me get excited about anything until the day before, or even the day of. But this time I'm trying to ignore her: I'm leaving in a week. One week, and I will be driving to LAX at this very moment. I will pray for a window seat and watch every inch of America, the Atlantic, and the lights of Europe's biggest cities as we fly over it through the night. There's still so much to do - I haven't even made a dent in my 'things I need to buy' list, and I still need to study up for the English lessons I'll be teaching. BUT. I'm leaving in a week.

Just in time, too, I think. Though I'm far from ready to come back and start school, I AM tiring a little of certain people and things. It's hitting me recently that life is all very strange. I mean I always knew that; but I feel like I've spent 17 years preparing myself for problems and mindsets that are, as it turns out, totally irrelevant. There's no training course or self-help book for the things that life actually throws at you. Which stinks. I suppose we'll all get through, though... anyway, people have been doing it for years. It mostly makes me wonder what I'll be like NEXT year... last year, I would have thought that this-year's life was pretty strange.

2 comments:

  1. You CAN reserve window seats you know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but unfortunately I wasn't in charge of reserving seats, so I'll take what I get. Or else just stand menacingly in the aisle until someone gives me their window seat.

    ReplyDelete