Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Head full of doubt, road full of promise.

I'm tired. Somehow, suddenly, everything feels extremely tired. Maybe it's because I just realized I'm leaving in 10 days, and still have so much to do... and to buy... and to practice... And maybe it's because I know that, the day after I fly back into LAX, college life begins. Maybe it's because, when I think about it, I realize that's really all that will be happening for the next four years. And sometimes, when I think about it more, it feels like life shouldn't go on at the same pragmatic pace day after day and year after year. I wish there was something I could do to just pause life: for me, but mostly for my parents. They need a break. I wish there was something I could do to just make all our problems go away.

Also, people are silly. But we knew that.

Mom and I watched "Up" a few nights ago. Now, I often cry in movies, but I've never actually felt the tears quite as much as I did during that movie. By far the best Pixar movie to date; at the very least, the most poetic. And it seemed so personal, like the writers had meant it specifically for individuals who had recently lost people they loved. I don't know how to say it better than that it handled the ordeal of 'letting go' more beautifully than any movie I've seen. Neither of us said it but I knew that Mom and I were both thinking of Papa throughout.

I don't like this business of growing up. And the older I get, the more I realize that I don't even know what 'growing up' means, much less how to do it. I always assumed that one day I'd just wake up and be "old enough" to understand... but now I'm beginning to think that growing up is a matter of faking it until you believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Some people never wind up believing it, and some people never bother to fake it in the first place.

    and then are those weird ones who were born 40 and needn't bother changing at all.

    UP is super emotional, but to me the first 10 minutes stand completely alone as probably the best thing Pixar's done.

    but Wall-E is still my favorite, personally.

    ReplyDelete