Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dodgers, Giraffes, and Journey.

I wonder how people stay excited about food for the 80 (or whatever the normal lifespan is) years that they're alive. Mom's finally given up asking me what I feel like eating for dinner because I never feel like eating anything. Unless it's 10 or 11 at night, at which time I really want to eat something fatty, like spaghetti or cheesecake. (Both of which we happen to have right now. And I'm not eating. WHY?!) I just get tired of food. The idea is almost always nice, but the act... only sometimes. People say you tend to eat more when you're tired, but I disagree. I am always tired; and I only feel like eating when I'm happy and energetic. Otherwise I just drink coffee. It's a good thing coffee isn't alcoholic or anything, because then I suppose I'd have a problem. As it is, they're saying now that coffee gives you more benefits than anything, such as a better memory. Of course, some people think that sitting on cold cement gives you hemorrhoids.

Anyway, today is Tuesday, which means I have less than three full days at home. I still have things to buy and lessons to plan. But I'm working on some part of 'getting ready' every day so I suppose that's the best I can do. Today, for example, I went and got shot three times by a nurse who looked suspiciously like our director in Pirates of Penzance. That was startling. Also, those shots HURT! That nasty woman... (she really is probably a nice person - at any rate, she likes animals. An entire wall of her office was full of pictures of giraffes, and there were little porcelain giraffes on her desk. I don't know if that makes her a nice person or not. Actually I think that makes her more suspicious.) She tried to distract me by asking me about my trip, and nodded very nicely while I was answering, "Well I'm going around the Czech Republic... we're also spending a week hiking, in SloVAK-" At this point she stabbed me and mom said my face actually turned white. "...ia..."

I learned to distrust people with needles at an early age. But now I'll be extra careful with needle-wielding giraffe-lovers.

Last night Dad and I went to see the Dodgers, which was fanTAStic. I'm normally extremely claustrophobic around crowds but this particular crowd behaved itself pretty well, and it's so fun being in a community like that - we're all in this together and all of that. Also, ahem, Michael Johns sang the national anthem. Kate will be extremely jealous... heh heh. What an attractive Australian. (Johns, not Kate.) It's so fun doing the wave, and cheering or boo-ing with the crowd (especially knowing WHEN to cheer and boo - I pride myself now that I know the game of baseball well.)... oh, and singing "Take me out to the ball game". Although I think my favorite part was the fellow sitting next to us. The ol' Dodgers were pretty awful last night, they ended up losing to the Giants 2-5, but of course the crowd was being loyal. The guy next to us, however, was a bit bipolar. He'd had a few of those beers in plastic cups by the time 7th inning came around, and went from singing "Do-oooon't stop, belieeeeeeeeevin'!" at the Dodgers to shouting, "C'mon! I'm inebriated and I saw that coming!" Gotta love those fans...

In short, I like baseball. If I were a guy, that would be my sport. Sadly girls don't play baseball. Why IS that?

Anywho. I'm going to eat lunch now. I'm going to take advantage of one of the few times today that food will sound appealing, and then I'm going to finish up some craft samples. And try not to think too hard about the giraffe nurse and her needles...

1 comment:

  1. Kate and I laughed heartily over your inebriated fellow fan. Also, it took her til I was three sentences after reading about Johns for her to go "Michael Johns?!?!? Oh nooooooooooooo!"
    A little slow? Lol!

    ReplyDelete