Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My feet are on the ground, but all the words I say are coming out like cloud.

I went to sleep a bit after 2, and woke up at 7. I have to pick up - my... employer (I hate not using names, but I feel that it's in everybody's best interest) - in about twenty minutes and take her to the bus station. I'm so tired. But I had to wake up at 7 so that I could get everything done for the pets for the day. Then I ended up having some extra time, so I've been sitting here drinking this heinous coffee. As if Folgers wasn't bad enough, they don't have a scoop for the grounds so I've been guessing on the amount to put in the pot. I'm usually a good guesser, but not this time. If it's possible to have too much of a good thing, it is a near sin to have too much of a bad thing. Well - I don't know about a sin. But too much Folgers isn't good for anybody.

Yesterday was a lovely day. I went to the harbor for a few hours with Laura and Amelia - got a nice sunburn that is turning into a nice toasty tan - and we sat around for a long while with our respective coffees, like the good old days. Then I came home, picked up Kate, and we went to Barnes&Noble, where we stayed for a few hours and eventually Jon and Megan met us there. I bought almost $70 worth of books - God bless the people who give B&N gift cards. [Now the shelf in my room is pleasantly and perfectly full. Well, not perfectly. I will always be up for adopting more books. I love books. I love their covers and the way they feel in my hands. I love the physical book itself almost as much as I love the words on its pages.] Kate and I then went to Target to pick up some things, and came home just in time for dinner with everybody. We then watched Robin Hood with Russell Crowe. Not amazing, but enjoyable. I think anything would be an enjoyable watch with that crowd.

I had this incredibly bizarre dream the night before last. I was with my family, friends, and everyone that I know, at a famous theater company's production of Hamlet. Except that it was at my church and with The Dining Room set still up. It was really good, but everyone in the audience was being incredibly rude, and kept striking up conversations with each other at full volume - while the actors were speaking. The latter kept stopping and glaring, and occasionally Hamlet would come down and tell people, with his very intense, Gerard-Butler-esque stare, to be quiet - he was speaking. I was frantically telling people to shut up the whole time, but nobody listened. I felt very responsible. This continued for a long while. Then, at the end of the play, everyone died in various fashions - but no subtle death would do for our Gerard-Butler-Hamlet. I guess they were going for the metaphoric message of Hamlet "going on ahead of us", because as he was delivering his last words to Horatio, he mounted a unicycle. (Yes. A unicycle.) He rode it backwards, very slowly, down the aisle and then out the sanctuary door. And instead of saying "The rest is silence" and dying like a normal Hamlet, Unicycle Man paused, looked about, and said passionately, "To everybody!" At which Jon, Kate and I all looked at each other and said in homage to The Dining Room, "To all of us!". We clapped; we cheered wildly; and Hamlet disappeared out the door. I don't know that he came back in. There was a second part of the dream, in which (after the play had ended) I was standing in the church kitchen with a friend of mine. I was looking through the cupboards for cups so that we might have something to drink, and I asked him if he'd like water or tomato soup. "Oh! Tomato soup would be great," he said. And I thought, "Damn it. Now I have to make tomato soup."

I'd love to hear some interpretation of THAT dream...

1 comment: