Friday, January 21, 2011

Inside your head there's a record that's playing a song called "Hold On".

I wonder what kind of drug it is that dentists give you before you go into surgery. I never went full unconscious - I mean, it seemed to go really quickly, but I was never "out" at any point. It just didn't hurt. At least, not much. The weird thing was that I was aware of how much it should be hurting, but I suppose that I wasn't aware of who was hurting me. I distinctly remember feeling the metal pliers poke around my gum, and thinking, "Oh no, they're going to hurt me!" And then I was trying to lean my head toward the dentist's chest, as if he would protect me. Horrible man, taking advantage of a girl that way... Actually, aside from some mild confusion, the surgery was surprisingly easy. I think I was in there for about a half hour in all. No hallucinations, no weird dreams... the only effect of the IV they hooked me up to was that the ceiling began swirling crazily. The past two days I've been sleeping on and off... I'm a bit swollen, but not nearly as bad as Beth was (hehe, I don't think it's possible for anyone to be as swollen as she was....). The vicodin did make me pretty sick, though... I've thrown up a few times and felt nauseous the rest of them. Now I'm trying to wean myself off the vicodin, so my mouth is hurting a bit more than it has been... also, it hurts like the devil to talk. Which is terrible. My parents (lovely people that they are) keep coming by and checking on me, when all I really want is to be left alone so I can sleep. Ah well... better to be smothered when you're sick, than to be deserted. Right now I'd say the worst thing I'm going through is caffeine-withdrawals. The sedatives and other drugs were distracting me from missing coffee for the first day, but this morning I woke up at 3 with the worst migraine I've ever had, and I just lay there with it for an hour and a half. Mom finally came out to check on me and made me some black tea, and I think that helped. My head still hurts, but then, they yanked out five things that were attached to my jaw. What did I expect?

I just hope that I feel better for tomorrow. I thought looking puffy would be the worst thing for a mime performance... but I have to say, throwing up on stage would be a little bit worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment