Monday, August 23, 2010

But the world goes round.

Well, I've been home for a week now. It feels a lot longer than a week, but it also feels like it shouldn't already be seven days - my head keeps telling me that I'm still in Prague. But then I realize that I'm in the middle of a college algebra class and have no idea what the man is talking about. Such is life. I wasn't ecstatic, you know, about coming back to California. I was really really happy to see my family again, but that was about it. Last night I started feeling a bit depressed - homesick, even. How can I be home, and feel homesick? I know what I mean, but I don't understand it - if that makes sense. That is, I know why I feel the way I feel, but I can't figure out how to get around it. I feel homesick for Europe - for the feeling of everything, every day, being different. It was exhausting, but after a certain point it became normal, and even preferable, to live like that. And that's a huge step for someone who usually lives off of lists and schedules. It's just hard to go from THAT, to coming back and doing school and the every-day, normal things that I've been doing for 17 years. I feel more restless now than ever.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had had time to let it all sink in, upon coming home. Maybe if I'd taken time to write it all out for myself, I'd be ready to move onto phase 2 of the semester. I just feel like I've changed so much - and now I have to go back to living exactly the way I lived before. It's frustrating, and over the last few days I've just ended up feeling very detached from everything. I know I need to settle down and do homework and all that stuff that comes with school... but I'm having a reeeeaallly hard time making myself. How do people do this??

2 comments:

  1. I can't say for sure, but I feel that I went through the exact same thing you are experiencing presently when I came home from my extended trip to South Carolina. It's hard to get over, but eventually you will.

    About that College Algebra. If you need help, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know how that goes. The restlessness still comes back once in a while.

    ReplyDelete