Monday, November 8, 2010

Say hey, don't you leave me in L.A. alone,

Lover...please please please please...
Turn your car around and come back home.
New York is such a beautiful city I'm sure:
It's just too far from California,
Just too far from California,
A little too far from California for me.


I've rediscovered a few old favorites, music-wise. Namely, Arcade Fire and Joe Purdy. (Obviously not to be listened to together.) I think the trouble with Joe Purdy is that everyone connects him with that lovable but obnoxious song "Just Can't Get It Right Today". If you listen to the album Sessions from Motor Ave while driving along that coast-lining highway at night, however, I bet you'll appreciate him more. Speaking of motors, I've decided that I should become one of those girls who knows about cars. The only trouble is that I don't know where to start. My brother (though he will deny this and kill me for saying it) isn't much good with them, and while my father knows how to change the oil and apply tire chains (and that, sometimes, takes some doing), I think that Papa really cornered the market on automobile-intelligence around here. At the co-op where I've taken classes since 4th grade, they're offering an Automotive Basics course this year, but it's full and I didn't get in. Which is sad. I don't want to have to depend on my guy friends (who ARE in the class) the next time my tire blows. A girl shouldn't be helpless in this world, after all. I spoke to my grandma about the matter the other day, and she told me about the Automotive Basics course that she took at college. She said that she took it with a friend, and it was a wonderful class because they didn't really have to do anything. I told her that my guy-friends have all had to change the tires on their cars during class time, and added that it sounded fun to me. "Not in silk stockings!" she said. I said I supposed she had me there.

Aaaanyway. Maybe I'll find me a manual or something.

I've also rediscovered my love of stretchy pants. Actually this might be a first-time discovery; don't know that I've ever really worn them much. I'm talking about those black stretchy capri's that one wears in exercise classes - they're fantastic! You can sit cross-legged on the computer chair, which tight American Eagle jeans never really let you do. Ha, I'm a picture at the moment... me sitting here in my stretchy pants, red plaid-flannel jacket, and holding my Mary Poppins mug. If I had to draw a picture of happiness, this might just be it.

I had a math test today. I've been doing so poorly in this class that I basically decided that this test will determine the class's future: if I fail the test, I drop the class. Because if I don't drop, and if I keep on failing tests, I'm going to fail the class, which wouldn't look so hot on a transcript. If I do well on the test, I'll take it as a sign that I can work my butt off and escape the class with at least a C. (It's hilarious, looking back at my posts from last semester... I was worked into a horrified frenzy over a B. Ha!) Anyway. The test. It only had 6 problems, which is a good thing and a bad thing. I actually feel like it went pretty well, over all - though I know that I got 1 wrong, for sure, and when you only have 6 problems, 1 is a pretty big deal. So hopefully that's all I got wrong. Either way, I'm sure you'll hear about it later. For now, I'm just glad the test is over.

Ah! We worked on CHRISTMAS SONGS today in mime. I am so excited. Though, some of them are inevitably weird; one of them, in particular, is hilariously wacky... we all kind of look like elves from the 70's. (I suppose, however, that if you're going to be an elf, you might as well be from the 70's. Tis the way.) Anyhow. Christmas is a nice thought. A new year, new semester, The Dining Room, graduation, trip to Ireland with mum. Happiness.

Hmm. I know I should be doing something right now, but I can't think of what.... oh well. One more cup of coffee for the road.

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to take the basic automotive at VC. We could do it together...?

    _Oreo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That'd be pretty cool! We should do it. I just have to sort out my classes well so that the next few semesters don't kill me. Because that would be no good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took that class at VC! I had to drop it halfway through because it took all friday afternoon and it was the semester i had to step it up and work all the time, but it was good. Really intimidating though as I was the only girl, and most guys in there were training to be real mechanics.

    ReplyDelete